SmartStart is an evaluation and research company in Orange County, California. We work with professors at US and international universities to assess implementation and impact of federally and privately funded programs. SmartStart currently works on projects funded by federal agencies such as the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and NASA. We would like to sustain this funding stream and expand to additional federal, state, private, and non-profit funding.
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Full-time position. Co-manage evaluation and research projects, conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses, write reports, and develop and administer evaluation instruments.
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING
- Contribute to managing evaluation and/or research on multiple nationwide and/or international projects
- Contribute to the methodological and theoretical design of evaluation and research projects.
- Contribute to developing experimental and quasi-experimental evaluation designs.
- Monitor project progress using benchmark/milestone tables, and output/outcome metrics and targets.
- Create innovative data visualizations of evaluation and research results.
- Report results in userfriendly, accessible formats that meet clients’ needs including newsletters, fact sheets, and PowerPoints.
- Develop evaluation instruments including surveys, evaluation forms, and interview protocols.
- Contribute to presenting at project meetings, advisory board meetings, and conferences.
- Contribute to working collaboratively with PIs to develop their project plan including creating logic models, benchmark/milestone tables, and output and outcome metrics and targets and participate in overseeing the management thereafter.
- Conduct surveys, focus groups and/or interviews by telephone and/or in person.
- Conduct observations of classrooms and complete assessment rubrics.
- Download and analyze quantitative data by applying appropriate quantitative analysis techniques
- Conduct literature reviews.
- Contribute to collaboratively writing white papers and peer-reviewed journal articles with clients.
- Contribute to submitting papers and presenting at conferences.
- Work collaboratively across teams to develop and submit proposals for evaluation and research solicitations.
- Participate in job interviews to select junior evaluation employees.
- Conduct employee performance reviews and support junior employees in growth and development.
- Travel to meetings and conferences inside and outside of the USA as required.
- Other evaluation and research-related responsibilities as customarily performed by an employee in a similar position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in a field in which evaluation-related skills were learned and practiced.
- At least 2 years of data preparation, analysis and reporting experience in an evaluation-related field.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proficiency in SPSS or Stata and statistical analysis methods is required.
- Experience using online survey management platforms (ie. Survey Gizmo, Qualtrics).
- Experience developing evaluation forms, surveys, and focus group and interview protocols.
- Strong Microsoft Word skills, excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with experimental and quasi-experimental research and evaluation methods.
- Familiarity with qualitative analysis software such as NVivo and Dedoose and methods.
- Familiarity conducting evaluation and research writing in academic and applied contexts.
- Familiarity with logic models, theories of change, or system maps.
- A solid work ethic, dependable, focused.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills, detailed orientated.
- Able to seek out resources to locate and analyze data from secondary data sources.
- Fast learner with a quick mind.
- Able to provide mentoring and training to junior evaluators.
- Able to delegate responsibilities, and hold others accountable.
- Able to work independently to plan project tasks in advance and identify steps leading to project completion.
- An upbeat person with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who can maintain a positive work environment and positive, professional interactions with clients.
- Able to flex work schedule based on travel and online conferencing responsibilities.
- Able to think outside the box and identify the most efficient methods.
- Able to take direction, learn from mistakes, and make changes.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license to drive in the USA.
- Must own a vehicle or be willing to pay rental car/uber in excess of allowable mileage to and from meetings and conferences.
- The starting salary range for this position has been established at $41,760 to $50,112 and is negotiable commensurate with degree, skills and experience.
- Opportunities to earn bonuses beyond the base salary are also available. Employees are encouraged to submit evaluation and research-related proposals in their areas of interest and specialization to earn bonuses and develop their own work portfolios.
SmartStart offers a competitive benefits package to all full-time employees including:
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 10 paid holidays per calendar year
- Vacation days
- Sick leave
- 401K retirement plan
SmartStart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment based upon race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, handicap, or any other reason not related to employment. All successful applicants will be required to show proof of legal right to accept employment in the US.
If interested, send cover letter and CV, including contact information to:
Subject line: Evaluation Associate Position
Attention: Office Manager
All work is conducted at the SmartStart office or at travel locations. No remote applicants please.